Keeping your car headlights clean is important for safety reasons. Not only will it make your car look nicer, but it will also help you see better when driving at night.
There are a lot of headlight cleaners on the market these days, but not all of them are worth your money.
In this blog post, we will discuss the 10 best headlight cleaners under $25. We’ll also provide a buyer’s guide to help you choose the right one for your needs!
Top 10 Best Headlight Cleaners Under $25
- 3M Headlight Restoration System – $13.64
- Meguiar’s Clear Plastic Cleaner – $9.99
- Chemical Guys Headlight Restore and Protect – $17
- 3M Auto Headlight Restoration Kit – $10
- Rain-X Headlight Restorer – $10.78
- Mothers NuLens headlight Renewal Kit – $22.48
- Rust-Oleum Headlight Restore – $11.99
- Rolite Headlight Cleaner – $13.05
- Meguiar’s Clear Headlight Coating – $8.58
- Turtle Wax Headlight Restorer Kit – $15.99
What Are Headlight Cleaners?
Headlight cleaners are products designed to clean or restore the clarity of your vehicle’s headlights.
They can range from DIY solutions, like a mix of baking soda and vinegar or toothpaste, to commercial headlight restoration kits available on the market.
These cleaners work by removing dirt, grime, and oxidation that can make the headlights appear foggy or dull.
Top 10 Best Headlight Cleaners Under $25
Headlights that are covered in dirt and grime can reduce the amount of light that they emit, making it difficult to see at night.
That’s why it’s important to have a good headlight cleaner on hand. There are a number of different cleaners available on the market, and most of them cost less than $25. Here are 10 of the best headlight cleaners under $25:
1. 3M Headlight Restoration System – $13.64
- Masks come in a variety of different styles, colors, and thicknesses. They include masking tape, sanding discs for light smoothing, wax protectants, and other materials.
- Custom-made for plastic lenses – headlights, taillights, fog lights, directional lights, and more
- Abrasive technology with a ceramic blasting wheel creates fewer streaks and less damage to the plastic lens surface.
- It’s simple to use: pick a kit with no tools necessary or that may be utilized with a basic household drill.
- Saves you a lot of money
- 3M abrasive technology and a polishing compound are used to restore hazy and dull headlight lenses, as well as other plastic lens surfaces on your car.
The 3M Headlight Restoration Kit repairs transparent plastic lenses in a way that ordinary cleaners can’t. This easy-to-use procedure takes only a few minutes. Apply high-performance masking tape (not included) to the painted surfaces surrounding the lens you are repairing, as shown.
Using a Trizact abrasive disc system to remove yellowing, scratches, dirt, haze, and another material buildup from the plastic lens is a good idea. Simply attach the disk to a pad using the Hookit attachment system with a regular household drill (not included). Also includes a 3M Rubbing Compound for maximum shine and clarity. Remove the masking tape, and you’re done.
2. Meguiar’s Clear Plastic Cleaner – $9.99
- CLEANER AND POLISH FOR PLASTIC: The rich gel formulation in this product swiftly restores clarity to both rigid and flexible uncoated clear plastics, removing cloudiness, discoloration, oxidation, fine scratches, and dirt.
- MORE THAN JUST THE HEADLIGHTS: Ideal for headlights, Plexiglas, plastic convertible windows, brake lights, and other uncoated transparent plastic materials
- CLEAR, ENHANCES VISION AND SAFETY: Brings back crystal clarity in a single easy step while saving you money on pricey replacement headlights and improving nighttime driving visibility and safety.
- LASTS LONG: Water-resistant polymers protect your phone for a long time.
- USAGE BY ITSELF OR WITH THE HEADLIGHT KIT: Use alone or as a supplement to Meguiar’s headlight restoration kits
Clear plastic surfaces can become hazy, yellowed, foggy, and oxidized over time. This is the correct solution for this problem.
It works fast, leaving no traces and restoring both firm and flexible uncoated clear plastics’ optical clarity. It’s frequently used to remove light yellowing and cloudiness from transparent car headlights because it may help drivers see better at night by reducing the cost of new headlights.
Plexiglass, brake lights, and other uncoated clear plastic surfaces may all be cleaned with this solution. It’s also excellent for headlight cleaning but can also be utilized to clean plastic convertible top windows and other uncoated transparent plastics.
3. Chemical Guys Headlight Restore and Protect – $17
- Make your headlights clean and clear once more.
- Removes the hazy, discolored appearance of headlights.
- Optical restorer, Protestant
- Sunburn protection and preventing sun damage in the future)
- No sanding is required
It’s not uncommon for old headlights to need to be replaced. Plastic in headlight housings is susceptible to harsh UV radiation, which fades the material and makes it hazy and opaque. Professionals may charge hundreds of dollars to sand, polish, and re-finish headlight plastics, as well as thousands of dollars for replacement parts, depending on the vehicle.
Rubbing out hazy headlight residue is a hassle, so use Chemical Guys Headlight Restorer and Protectant to save time. Simply apply the refined cream solution to the foggy headlight plastic with a microfiber cloth until it becomes crystal clear. That’s all there is to it! With Headlight Restorer and Protectant, most plastic goes from hazy and yellow to crystal-clear in seconds.
Tougher smeared plastic can be meticulously sanded with 2000 and 3000-grit wet sandpaper, then brought back to its original color. Or use a machine polishing kit to obtain professional-level results using Headlight Restorer and Protectant by hand or with a microfiber towel.
4. 3M Auto Headlight Restoration Kit – $10
- 1 – 3M Trizact Refining Disc 1000 grit, 1 – 3M Trizact Refining Disc 3000 grit, 2 – 3M Quick Headlight Clear Coat Wipes, and 1 – Foam Pad with 3M Hookit Attachment is included.
- For plastic lenses, such as headlights, taillights, fog lights, and directional lights.
- The ultrasonic cleaning technology is used to clean the plastic lens surface without harming it.
- It’s simple to operate. Choose a kit with no tools required or for use with a basic household drill.
5. Rain-X Headlight Restorer – $10.78
- Removes haze and discoloration from clear plastic, allowing it to be clearer.
- With clearer headlight lenses, it improves visibility.
- To a damp soft cloth or straight on the headlight surface, apply Rain-X Headlight Restorer.
- Rinse and wipe dry with a clean paper towel or cotton cloth.
- The multi-step process provides a more thorough cleaning than single-step products.
Over time, plastic headlights become hazy and yellow, making them less bright. This reduces the brightness of headlamps, which is dangerous for drivers and others on the road. RainX Headlight Restorer can help you see more clearly by restoring hazing, yellow headlights back to clear. RainX Headlight Restorer is ideal for mild yellowing or fog on your headlights while the RainX Headlight Restoration Kit is designed for heavily oxidized headlights.
6. Mothers NuLens headlight Renewal Kit – $22.48
- Designed to fully and safely restore, preserve, and protect all types of smooth, glossy plastic and acrylic headlights to crystal clarity in a hurry.
- It cleans away yellowing and stains, as well as removes unsightly hairline scratches, smudges, and flaws in a single process.
- PowerPlastic 4Lights polish restores crystal clarity, leaving a durable, oxidation-inhibiting polymer layer to protect against future deterioration from the elements.
- 3-inch Backing Plate, PowerBall 4Lights Polishing Tool, Restoration Discs, 8 oz. Polish included.
Regardless of where you reside, your car’s headlights are subjected to a slew of hostile environmental elements. The sun’s rays, UV radiation, continuous heating and cooling, rain, smog, harsh chemicals, pitting, and other factors can all hasten the effects of oxidation and quickly dull and degrade your lenses. Not only is this an unsightly problem but yellow or hazy headlights reduce light output while reducing nighttime visibility, posing a significant safety risk.
It is not difficult to restore headlight clarity. Yellowing, stains, and even ugly hairline scratches, smudges, and flaws can all be cleaned away with ease. The Mothers NuLens Headlight Renewal Kit is a groundbreaking tool that uses a drill-mounted* precision foam polishing ball to quickly, safely, and inexpensively restore, preserve, and protect all sorts of smooth plastic headlights to crystal clarity.
With a basic polishing procedure, all lenses may be quickly fixed. Mothers’ distinct restorative process will take you down the proper road to completion, guaranteed.
7. Rust-Oleum Headlight Restore – $11.99
- Simply use the included polishing pad and wet sanding block to clean and polish your headlights, then use Wipe New to bring them back to new.
- The corrosion-inhibiting and anti-oxidation properties of the Nano-polymer formula and application procedure keep headlight lenses safe for years.
- It dries in one hour and works quickly, but it must wait 24 hours before being exposed to water.
- Instantly restores headlight lenses, leaving a brilliant finish.
WipeNew Headlight Restore is a revolutionary long-lasting solution for oxidized headlights. For crystal clear effects, simply wipe the prepared headlight with Wipe-It towelette. It cleans more dirt and protects better than DIY headlight tips and hacks.
8. Rolite Headlight Cleaner – $13.05
- CLEANS, SHINES, AND PROTECTS: This unique Plastic and Acrylic Cleaner is simple to use and quickly cleans and polishes ALL nonporous surfaces while leaving a smooth, glossy finish that looks like new.
- DUST-REPELLENT SURFACE: This cleaner creates a dust-repellent surface that prevents fingerprints and other unwanted smudges while also keeping the surface glossy, which protects it from scuffs, scratches, and other damage.
- The water-based formula is anti-static and streak-free, so it won’t leave any streaks or residue behind, and it’s free of ammonia and alcohol, making it completely non-flammable and safe to use.
- MULTI-PURPOSE FORMULA: This polish for plastic and acrylic is versatile and you can use it on motorcycle windscreens, ship windows, automobile headlights, retail or antique displays, 3D printers, copiers, hot tubs or spas, and other surfaces.
This Plastic and Acrylic Cleaner is made specifically for non-porous surfaces and is quick and simple to use, leaving a smooth, gleaming finish that appears brand new.
The water-based solution is anti-static and won’t leave any streaks behind, making it perfect for producing a mirror shine on non-porous surfaces. Use the plastic and acrylic cleaner on plexiglass, Lexan, lucite, mylar, polycarbonate, carbon fiber, aluminum, chrome steel, glass, and stainless steel.
9. Meguiar’s Clear Headlight Coating – $8.58
- Maintains clarity on restored headlights
- Provides durable UV protection
- Helps keep new headlights looking their best.
- A coating that helps to keep the headlights clear for up to a year without fading or chipping
- Easy aerosol spray application
Those automobiles in the parking lot that are just a few years old yet have headlights that are hazy and yellow and require headlight cleaning are all too familiar.
It may make a newer vehicle appear significantly older than it is, and it can also be dangerous to drive at night with clear plastic headlights that have been subjected to the sun’s harmful UV rays for long periods of time.
The sun’s damaging UV rays constantly assault your headlights, causing them to acquire an unpleasant yellow, hazy, and discolored appearance over time.
So, how can you keep your headlights clear and brilliant? Meguiar’s has the ideal solution for preserving the clarity of your headlights with Meguiar’s Keep Clear Headlight Coating, whether you’ve done a headlight restoration or not.
10. Turtle Wax Headlight Restorer Kit – $15.99
- The HID Headlight Conversion Kit is the #1 Selling Headlight kit. It improves headlight performance by removing moderate oxidation and sealing headlights to prevent future yellowing.
- The results are dramatic. Bring back dull, yellowed headlights to like-new clarity.
- Improves lens appearance & visibility for safer driving
- Superior results without using a power tool
The Turtle Wax Headlight Restorer is a concentrated, liquid-based product for restoring headlamps that have lost their sheen. The unique method restores dingy, yellowed headlights to brand new conditions. Remove the surface discoloration with the aid of a lens clarifying compound that quickly removes surface stains. The 3 multistage wet restoration pads allow the user to concentrate on more severe discoloration and oxidation, bringing the lens back to a like-new condition.
Direct sunlight or heat is causing the yellowing and discoloration of headlights. The sun’s rays, especially if they’re concentrated, is causing glasses to pale. Heat-resistant glass (often known as toughened glass) is heat resistant up to 1,500 degrees Fahrenheit while normal window glass only withstands temperatures up to 400 degrees F.
How To Clean The Headlights
- Gather Materials: You’ll need a headlight cleaner kit, which typically includes a cleaning solution, sandpaper of various grits, and a sealant. Alternatively, you can use toothpaste or baking soda mixed with vinegar, a spray bottle of water, and a microfiber cloth.
- Protect Surrounding Areas: Use painter’s tape to mask off the area around the headlights to protect the car’s paint from accidental scratching.
- Apply Cleaning Solution: If you’re using a commercial product, follow the instructions provided. If you’re using a homemade solution like toothpaste or baking soda and vinegar, apply it liberally to the headlight.
- Start Sanding: Using the finest grit sandpaper first, wet the sandpaper with water and gently sand the headlight in a circular motion. The goal is to remove the outer layer of oxidation.
- Rinse and Repeat: Rinse off the headlight and repeat the sanding process with progressively coarser sandpaper until the headlight appears clear.
- Dry and Seal: Dry the headlight thoroughly with a clean cloth, then apply a sealant (often included in commercial kits) to protect the headlight from future oxidation.
- Allow to Dry: Allow the sealant to dry according to the product’s instructions. Once dry, remove the painter’s tape.
How Often Should You Clean The Headlights?
It’s recommended to clean your headlights thoroughly at least twice a year, usually in the spring and fall.
If you live in an area with harsh weather conditions or drive on dirt roads frequently, you might need to clean them more often.
Regular cleaning can prevent the buildup of oxidation and grime, which can dim your headlights and decrease visibility.
Ultimately, if you notice that your headlights are starting to look cloudy or aren’t illuminating the road as well as they should, it’s probably time for a good cleaning.
Q: Why should I clean my headlights?
A: Over time, headlights can become cloudy or yellowed, which can reduce their effectiveness and impair visibility. Cleaning your headlights helps improve their performance and enhances safety on the road.
Q: What are the benefits of using headlight cleaners?
A: Using headlight cleaners can restore the appearance of your headlights, making your car look newer and well-maintained. It can also improve visibility at night, promote safer driving, and potentially save you from costly headlight replacements.
Q: How often should I clean my headlights?
A: It is recommended to clean your headlights at least once every three to six months, depending on your driving conditions. If you notice a significant decrease in clarity or brightness, it may be time for a cleaning.
Q: Can I use household cleaners on my headlights?
A: It is not advisable to use household cleaners on your headlights as they may contain abrasive ingredients that can damage the lens or surrounding materials. It is best to use cleaners specifically formulated for headlights.
Q: How long does it take to clean headlights?
A: The time required to clean headlights can vary depending on the product used, the condition of the headlights, and the method of application. Generally, it can take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour.
Q: Can I clean my headlights myself or should I hire a professional?
A: You can clean your headlights yourself using commercially available headlight cleaners. However, if you are unsure or uncomfortable performing the task, it is recommended to seek professional help to ensure the best results.
Q: Are headlight cleaners safe for all types of headlights?
A: Most headlight cleaners are safe for use on various types of headlights, including plastic, polycarbonate, and glass. However, it is important to read the product instructions and verify compatibility before applying the cleaner.
Q: Can headlight cleaners remove deep scratches from headlights?
A: Headlight cleaners are primarily designed to remove surface contaminants and restore clarity. While they may help improve the appearance of minor scratches, they are not typically effective in removing deep scratches. In such cases, professional repair or replacement may be required.
Q: How much do headlight cleaners cost?
A: Headlight cleaners can vary in price depending on the brand, quantity, and quality of the product. However, there are many reliable options available for under $25.
Finding the best headlight cleaner under $25 can significantly enhance your vehicle’s appearance and safety without breaking the bank.
These affordable options offer an effective solution to restore your headlights’ clarity, removing oxidation, grime, and yellowing.
With many products offering easy-to-use kits, even those without prior experience can successfully brighten their headlights.